Oreo Brownies have to be one of the best desserts ever invented. A cold glass of milk and warm Oreo Brownies is a great follow up for dinner (although not so great for my waistline). Your typical plain Jane chocolate Brownies are fine but a little bit boring. Throw Oreo cookies into the mix and you turn a fairly run of the mill dessert into something a bit more exciting.
I am in no way a whiz in the kitchen but luckily for me Oreo Brownies are an easy dish to master. There are literally thousands of different Oreo Brownie recipe variations out there though. I encourage you to try a few different styles and figure out what tastes best to you. I have gone through many of them myself and have listed a few of my favorites for you here. I factor in three major areas into my selection criteria:
My Oreo Brownie Selection Criteria
- Tastiness Factor - This is no-brainer. The more delicious it tastes the better the rating I give the recipe!
- Degree of Difficulty - Like most people I don’t like the idea of spending hours and hours in the kitchen. If a recipe is quick and easy it gets high marks from me.
- Creativity - I am big fan of unique variations to old, standard recipes – especially if they are an improvement. I give bonus credit if the recipe has a creative twist that enhances the dish.
This is my favorite Oreo Brownie recipe by far. It combines the smooth, moist texture of a brownie with a crunchy Oreo cookie center. A mixture of original Oreos and chocolate filled Oreos are used. As an added bonus it also complements the typical recipe with peanut butter. An awesome dessert!
- A batch of your favorite brownie mix.
- 12 original Oreos
- 12 Oreos with chocolate filling
- 1tbsp peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350F and lay out 12 cupcake wrappers in a muffin tray
- Create the brownie pillars by taking an original Oreo and spreading a layer of peanut butter on one side. Next add a chocolate Oreo on top of the peanut butter. This effectively creates an Oreo cookie “sandwich” with the peanut butter in the middle.
- Repeat this for all the cookies and add the cookie pillars into the cupcake wrappers.
- Prepare your brownie mix according to the recommended directions
- Pour the brownie mix into each prepared cupcake wrapper making sure that the cookie pillar is completely covered.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes
- Allow the brownies to cool completely
This is a fantastic recipe which includes a delicious, buttercream frosting. The frosting tastes a lot like the center of an Oreo. I love this recipe!
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, room temperature
- pinch of salt if using unsalted butter
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ (powdered) sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (you can substitute milk if required)
- 1/2 cup cookie crumbs (about 6 Oreos)
Oreo Brownie Ingredients
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 5oz (142g) semisweet chocolate (can use bittersweet or dark), chopped or chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, dark or dutch processed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Prepare the brownies:
- First preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil. Lightly grease or spray with non-stick
- In a small bowl combine the flour and salt and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Over low heat add in the cocoa, chocolate, and sugar, stirring
until the mixture is smooth and the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir for another minute or so allowing the mixture to cool
- Add the oil, vanilla and eggs into the mixture one at a time.
- Stir vigorously for about 1-2 minutes until batter has no clumps and becomes smooth, thick, and shiny.
- Carefully fold in the flour mixture until it is mixed thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out with no batter and a few moist crumbs sticking to it.
- Be very careful not to over bake the brownies. Allow the brownies to cool completely.
- Beat the shortening and butter smooth using an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Next beat in the cream and powdered sugar until the mixture is smooth.
- Add vanilla and salt and beat on medium speed until it is light in creamy (usually takesabout 3 minutes)
- Fold in the cookie crumbs.
- Add frosting to the cooled brownies
Most Oreo Brownie recipes call for a layer of whole Oreo cookies somewhere within the brownie. What I really like about this recipe is that it is based on chopped Oreo cookies. That gives a slightly different texture and really mingles the taste of Oreo with the brownie mix. Here is the recipe:
- 3 cups Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped (approx 20-24)
- 1 cup butter 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 9×13-inch baking sheet with aluminum foil, and then lightly grease the foil.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a medium-large saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in vanilla, sugar, and salt. Afterwards turn off heat.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time, making sure that each is fully mixed before adding in the next.
- Stir in the cocoa powder and flour until you achieve a uniform mixture.
- Mix in the chopped Oreo cookies and pour batter into the prepared pan. Spread the mixture into an even layer.
- Crush an additional 3-4 cookies very finely and add on top of the batter.
- Bake for about 30 – 35 minutes. You can test if its ready by inserting a toothpick into the center comes. The toothpick should come out with moist crumbs but should not have any batter.
- Cool the brownies in pan for at least 25 minutes, then lift brownies out of the pan by picking up the aluminum foil. Transfer the entire layer into place on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing into squares.
- This recipe makes about 36 brownies. You can reduce the size to bite size brownies to get more pieces.